Description: Knit a pair of socks 2-at-a-time from the toe up. You'll have even tension on both socks and finish them at the same time! You will also learn how to do a Winding Cast On and an Afterthought Heel. This type of sock construction is perfect for self-striping yarn or having contrasting colors for the toe, heel, and cuff.
Saturday, May 15th 10am-12pm
Saturday, May 22nd 10am-12pm
Instructor: Anne Kamsvaag
Course fee: $60 for four hours of instruction.
Yarn: For classwork, bring 2 small quantities of light-colored worsted weight yarn and 1 small quantity of similar yarn in a contrasting color.
- 1 circular needle (at least 32” long, 40” is preferable), size US 5 or US 6
- 1 circular needle (any length) US 0 or US 1 that will be used for casting on
- 1 set of DPNs (any size smaller than US 5)
If you are already familiar with Magic Loop and prefer the 2-circulars method, bring 2 circulars in the same size, length between 16” to 29”.
After learning the key techniques using worsted weight yarn, to knit a full pair of socks, you will need:
- Fingering yarn – 400 yds, needle size 0-2
- Sport yarn – 350 yards, needle size 2-3
- DK yarn – 300 yards, needle size 2 ½-4
- Worsted – 250 yards, needle size 3-5
Note - the recommended needle sizes are smaller than is often recommended for the yarn. For socks, you want to use a needle size that lets you get a tight density on your stitches.
Pattern: Class handout.
Recommended for: Intermediate - you should be comfortable with knitting in the round, kfb increases, and basic decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog)
We do require a 72-hour advance notice for cancellations. No refunds, partial or full, will be given for cancellations made less than 72 hours prior to the start of the event.